White Soda Bread
1lb Plain (white) Flour
1½ tsp Baking Soda
½ tsp of Salt
1 oz Butter
12 oz Buttermilk
Sift the flour, baking soda and salt into a bowl.
Rub in the butter.
Add the milk and mix to a smooth dough with your hands.
Place on a floured board and knead lightly.
Place in a greased 2lb loaf tin and bake at 220° C for about 45 minutes.
- Bake on a greased baking sheet or in a 7 inch round baking tin if you prefer.
- If you do not have buttermilk you can use sour milk or fresh milk soured with a little lemon juice or vinegar.
- During the cooking time, cover the loaf tin with foil if the bread seems to be browning too quickly.
- The bread should sound hollow when tapped. If the bottom seems under-done, turn it upside-down and bake for a few more minutes.
- Wrap the freshly cooked bread in a clean tea towel as it cools. This helps to keep the crust soft.
Site Design by
© 1999 Dianaco.com.
Powered by Virtual Sefer Copyright © 1998 Brent Sims. All Rights Reserved.